This post may contain affiliate links.
I love essential oils. Love Love Love them. But this is an expensive hobby so I watch for Flash Fridays, holiday sales, and special discounts and December was a great month to save money on essential oils.
Why I Order Essential Oils in December
It may seem like the best time to buy essential oils is Black Friday/Cyber Monday, but that weekend is just a preview of holiday sales. I've found that the best deals are in December as business face the last time to hit those revenue numbers for the year.
Plant Therapy offers daily specials starting in late November and extending through December. AnimalEO offers Flash Friday sales. This allows me to stock up on the oils that I use the most – personally and with my dogs.
Are Essential Oils Safe for Dogs?
Often when I post about essential oils, a well-meaning pet parent will point out how dangerous essential oils are for pets and they aren't 100% wrong. Over the years, I've learned that (1) quality essential oils from a reputable company are key and (2) constantly educating myself is important,
I only order essential oils from three sources that I trust – Plant Therapy, Simply Earth, and animalEO. While I primarily diffuse essential oils, I do make products for myself and my dogs. Before using an oil on my dog, I check with the Animal Desk Reference by Dr. Melissa Shelton.
The following is a list of the essential oils I purchased this month. Did I mention that I'm a bit obsessed?
Plant Therapy Oil of the Month Club
- Ishpingo Essential Oil – a warm, spicy aroma that is both stimulating and energizing.
- Oakwood Chip C02 Extract – a smokey, woody aroma with vanilla; often used in perfumes.
- Elemi C02 Extract – a spicy, lemony, peppery aroma that eases stress and worry.
- Woodland Co-Extraction – this one smells so good; brings to mind a cozy night in front of a fire.
- Green Tea C02 Extract – eases stress, anxiety, and tension while sharpening focus.
Plant Therapy Holiday Orders
Before I start placing orders, I make a list of what I need to keep from spending too much money. We have 24 hours to take advantage of each special and Plant Therapy doesn't tell you what specials will be published each day. Having a list makes it easier for me to pass on some specials. This year, for example, I didn't buy any diffusers because I have plenty.
- Sleep Tight – diffuse at bedtime or combine with water in a spray bottle and mist the pillows.
- Clary Sage – diffuse to create a calming atmosphere; add to a spray bottle with water and conditioner to promote healthy hair growth.
- Meditation – this is great when I'm having trouble relaxing.
- Organic Lavender – I like to keep lavender on hand because I love the scent.
- Chill Out – like Meditation, this one is great when I'm having trouble relaxing.
- Mercury Retrograde – I diffuse this when the trolls descend; helps me let go and walk away.
- Fir Needle – one of the many beautiful things about the Pacific Northwest is the scent of fir trees. I like to bring this inside at Christmas.
- Frankincense – it's cold and flu season; I diffuse frankincense to help alleviate symptoms.
- Clove Bud – another great oil for cold/flu/allergy seasons; it helps me breathe better.
- Camphor – great oil for irritated and itchy skin; I like to use it in a skin balm (for me). This oil is also great for relieving chest congestion, so I diffuse it during allergy season or when I have a cold.
- Balsam Fir – not only is this oil a natural antibacterial and anti-inflammatory; it's good to have on hand to help with coughing, it promotes sleep, and it reduces anxiety.
Simply Earth Essential Oil Subscription Box
Simply Earth offers essential oils and a subscription box; I signed up for the quarterly subscription box, which comes with FOUR ESSENTIAL OILS. I received the following holiday-inspired oils in this month's box:
- Winter spice
3 Simply Earth Essential Oil Recipes for Dog Moms
The box came with six recipes, including an exfoliating soap. Here are three easy recipes I received. You'll have to sign up with Simply Earth to get them all.
Calming Orange Grove Roll-On – apply to pulse points for calming and to uplift your mood. Mix the following ingredients in a 10 ml roll-on bottle, starting with the oils and filling the bottle the rest of the way with the fractionated coconut oil.
- fractionated coconut oil
- 2 drops Cedarwood essential oil
- 3 drops Bergamot essential oil
Winter Sunshine Diffuser Blend
- 2 drops of Winter Spice essential oil
- 3 drops Bergamot essential oil
- 1 drop Cinnamon essential oil
To make a master blend in one bottle, mix 32 drops of Winter Spice, 50 drops of Bergamot, and 16 drops of Cinnamon.
Winter Skin Protection Balm
- 1/4 cup almond oil
- 1 tbsp beeswax
- 10 drops Bergamot essential oil
- 10 drops Cedarwood essential oil
- 10 drops Winter Spice essential oil
- travel size containers for balms/moisturizers
Add the almond oil and beeswax to a solid shot glass and slowly warm in a pot of hot water until the beeswax melts. Remove from the heat and mix in the essential oils. Pour the mix into the travel size containers and allow to cool. I massage this into my hands when it's freezing outside.
AnimalEO Essential Oils
I dove deep into animalEO this year and placed an order for the following this month:
- Gingerbread Doghouse – for the holidays
- Zingiber Dream – for tummy upset (Scout has been having some gut issues); it also supports liver health, respiratory conditions, and inflammatory conditions.