This post may contain affiliate links.
Clary Sage is a flowering plant that looks similar to lavender, but it's not the same. I like to diffuse this Clary Sage essential oil to add a fresh scent to a room, but when I reading up on this oil recently, I realized that I wasn't taking advantage of all of the benefits.
Benefits of Clary Sage Essential Oil
Stress Relief – diffusing Clary Sage in a room creates a calm atmosphere. It's a great oil after a stressful day, when the dogs are going bonkers, or when I'm in a mood.
Working full time, building a business, writing books, studying for exams, raising five dogs and a cat, plus chores, blah blah blah blah – are you ready to block me yet? I have a lot on my plate and I know that I'm not alone. Often, I get so overwhelmed that I can't move forward and that's where Clary Sage can help.
This evening, I plan to add it to my diffuser, just enough to improve the mood, and re-flippin-lax already!
Antibacterial – Clary Sage has some antibacterial properties, which makes it a great ingredient for a DIY cleaner. Often, I add lemon or another citrus oil to a spray bottle of water and vinegar. Another great essential oil is Germ Fighter by Plant Therapy (which is similar to Thieves by Young Living). Next time I'm in a cleaning mood (which is every Saturday morning – yayyyy), I'll add Clary Sage to my bottle.
Antidepressant – I live with anxiety and depression and I choose to treat these without medication. Honestly, I'm terrified of medication. So far, a combination of diet, exercise, therapy, and gratitude is helping. Years ago, someone recommended essential oils and I grudgling agreed to try a few and they worked as well.
When using essential oils to improve my mood, it helps to diffuse them in a room, add them to a necklace, or create a lotion, cream, or bath product wit the oil.
Alleviates menstrual and menopausal symptoms – If this works, I'm buying five more bottles of Clary Sage. I usually have very light periods (yep, you just stepped into TMI), but every now and then, about two or three times a year, I have a period that feels like Freddie Kruger is trying to murder me. Cramps, nausea, headache, zero appetite – the works. If this essential oil can make half of that go away, SIGN ME UP!
Easy DIY Recipes Using Clary Sage Essential Oil
- Do you need everyone to calm the EFF down? Diffuse Clary Sage with Lavender to inspire a relaxed atmosphere. This mix also works if you need a good night's sleep.
- Need a beauty boost? Add a few drops of Clary Sage to your facial moisturizer to promote clear skin or to your shampoo to promote a healthier scalp.
- Alleviate menstrual cramps by mixing 3 drops of Clary Sage with one ounce of sweet almond oil and massage the blend around your tummy.
- Bring your hormones to a balanced level by mixing 5 drops of Lavender, 3 drops of Clary Sage, and 1 drop of Ylang Ylang. Add to a roller bottle, filling the rest with a carrier oil.
- Relieve hot flashes by mixing 5 drops of Peppermint, 3 drops of Clary Sage, and 1 drop of Ylang Ylang.
Is Clary Sage Safe to Use with Dogs?
Before using any essential oil on or around my dogs, I check the Animal Desk Reference manual on essential oils for animals by Dr. Melissa Shelton.
Clary Sage is safe for use around dogs.