This post may contain affiliate links.
This blog post was originally published in April 2015; it has been updated and republished with new information.
One of the coolest things about being a dog nutrition blogger is learning about new dog treats. But I have four unique dogs and what works for one dog may not work for another, and I've learned which treats are best for my pack as a whole so that I'm no longer wasting money on dog treats that fail to Wow! my dogs.
The below list of dog treats is broken up into sections; some of the treats are repeated because they fall into multiple sections.
- Protein Dog Treats
- Dog Chews
- Fish Dog Treats
- Freeze-Dried Dog Treats
What I Look for in Dog Treats
I'm very careful about the dog treats I allow our dogs to snack on, because we have four dogs with various, yet minor, health issues:
- digestive issues (Rodrigo and Scout)
- itchy paws (Rodrigo and Zoey)
- history of yeasty infections (Rodrigo and Sydney)
- joint pain (Rodrigo and Sydney)
- easy weight gain (Sydney and Zoey)
I don't feed our dogs sweet potato treats, I feed cookies with all natural ingredients, and I prefer non-chicken protein jerky treats and chews that are made with few ingredients and have no connection to China.
Each brand is hyperlinked; some hyperlinks will take you to a previous review I have written about the brand that will give you more information, while others will result in a commission for me if you buy the treats after you click the link (I thank you in advance).
1. Healthy Protein-Based Dog Treats
- PawStruck.com – chews, bully sticks, and more.
- Scout and Zoe's – chicken jerky, carp treats, and more.
- Dr. Becker's Bites – I love the solutions treats that support better health.
- Vital Essentials – freeze-dried minnows (my cat goes CRAZY for these)
- Barkworthies – duck feet, kangaroo treats, rabbit treats, alligator treats, and more.
2. Healthy Cookies for Dogs
3. Chews for Strong Chewers
Here are a few more chews that I'm a big fan of…
4. Fish Dog Treats
5. Healthy, Freeze-Dried Dog Treats
I really like freeze-dried treats, because they're as close to raw as I can get, they are small enough to use as training treats, and there are loads of options out there. The following are the treats I buy for my dogs.
11 Healthy Dog Treat Recipes
- Cooky's Cookie Dog Biscuits, Baking-Sense.com
- DIY Whole Grain Dog Treats, SomePets.com
- Peanut Butter Pumpkin Homemade Dog Treats, WhatAGirlEats.com
- Turkey Jerky Dog Treats, HomemadeFoodJunkie.com
- Sweet Potato Dog Cookies, AVirtualVegan.com
- Peanut Butter Pumpkin Homemade Dog Treats, ExtremeCouponingMom.ca
- Grain Free Dog Treat Recipe, HomeAndPlate.com
- Pumpkin Dog Treats, HomemadeFoodJunkie.com
- Healthy Peanut Butter Pumpkin Doggie Biscuits, DeliciousTable.com
- Pumpkin Apple Dog Treats, ThreeLittleFerns.com
- Banana Peanut Butter Dog Treats, AVirtualVegan.com