This post may contain affiliate links.
The chicken jerky treat recalls are in the past and we have a short memory. But when it comes to our dogs, it's important to understand why those recalls happened and why they can happen again.
Building a solid, yet affordable product in the pet space isn't easy or cheap, which is why brands are sourcing ingredients from China. The fact that China exports a lot of goods to America isn't a surprise nor is it a bad thing. The boots I'm wearing, the mug I'm drinking tea from, and the hair on my head came from China.
I don't have an issue or concern when it comes to my fashion. My issue is with food and treats for my dogs which originates from the tainted chicken jerky treats that harmed and killed so many pets.
Dogs are our family, our kids, and they count on us to be their voice at the pet store, at the veterinarian's office, and when we're on a walk.
Articles About Chicken Jerky Treats
Here are a few blog posts that I've written about chicken jerky treats which convinced me never to buy anything sourced from China; it just seems like the pet industry was too busy covering their butts and didn't seem to give a twig about the sick and dying pets.
- Why Did it Take So Long for the FDA to Recall Chicken Jerky Treats?
- Why Are Dogs Getting Sick from Jerky Treats?
- Why I Won't Promote Purina Waggin' Train Jerky Treats
12 Facts About Dog Food Made in China
- China has no comprehensive laws regulating pet food manufacturing.
- China has no regulations for pet food manufacturing.
- China has no punishment for wrongdoers when it comes to pet food safety.
- China’s pet food has been under scrutiny for other things, too.
- China is the third largest pet food importer in the US.
- The FDA doesn't inspect China's pet food imports.
- China's pet foods always find another way back into US stores.
- “Made in the USA” doesn't mean that the ingredients were from the US; ingredients can be sourced from China.
- China isn't the only offender; US manufacturers are innocent either.
- Always get the ingredients sourcing information from the manufacturer.
- Pet food companies aren't obligated to tell you where they source their ingredients from.
- The only way to know that a brand sources their ingredients from the US is to only buy from brands known for their quality control and integrity.
Healthy Dog Treat Brands I Trust
- Einstein Pets
- Scout and Zoes (this company inspired the names of our puppies)
- Raw Bistro
- Pawstruck.com – save 15% when you use the code TAILWAGGING
- Vital Essentials
Homemade Dog Treat Recipes
If you're interested in making dog treats at home, here are a couple of recipes I use: