This post may contain affiliate links.
When I was introduced to tripe for dogs, I made the same mistake many newbies make – I thought the bleached tripe at the store was what people were talking about. “Why did they call it green if it was white?” I asked; that was when I got my first lesson in tripe.
What is Tripe?
Tripe is the stomach linings of ruminating animals like cows, bison, and sheep. These animals have stomachs with four chambers that digest and re-digest grass with the help of digestive enzymes, amino acids, and gastric juices. Raw feeders add tripe to their dog's diet for the naturally occurring living enzymes
Raw feeders add tripe to their dog's diet for the naturally occurring living enzymes, believing that tripe offers a whole good supplement for digestive health.
What is Bleached Tripe?
The white tripe that we see at the grocery store is bleached tripe and is meant for human consumption. Because it's been bleached, all of the digestive enzymes, amino acids, and gastric juices that are beneficial for dogs, are washed away making it filler food for dogs.
You can still feed it to your dog, but it has no nutritional benefits. Before you go out and buy a case, make sure you ask what it was cleaned because this is what your dogs will be eating too.
Is Beef Tripe the Same as Green Tripe?
Sound like a dumb question? It's not. I had this question in the beginning as well. Yes, beef tripe is the same as green tripe – it's also known as green beef tripe. When shopping for green tripe, I prefer green tripe that is from grass-fed animals, minimally processed, and sourced in Washington or a nearby state.
Benefits of Green Tripe
All raw food has living enzymes and combined with raw green tripe serve to promote a healthy digestive system in raw fed dogs.
But that's not all.
Green tripe also offers the following:
- perfect balance of calcium:phosphorous
- healthy fats
- great source of protein
- high amounts of the probiotic lactobacillus acidophilus
But that's not all.
- Green tripe is great for picky eaters; that smell temps many dogs to chow down immediately.
- Green tripe is great for dogs with sensitive tummies; the natural digestive enzymes and probiotics soothe the gut.
- Green tripe is great for dogs that need to lose weight because it's a low calorie, nutrient rich food.
- Green tripe is great for dogs that need are in recovery because it's full of vitamins, minerals, and other nutrients.
- Green tripe is great for dogs that eat their poop; coprophagia comes about when a dog is seeking additional digestive enzymes, which are also in green tripe.
- Green tripe, when fed whole, is great dental health; the act of ripping and tearing the green tripe flosses and cleans the teeth.
This post is sponsored by Darwin's Natural Pet Food. I was paid a fee to share my honest thoughts and experience on this topic. Darwin's Pet, founded in 2004, makes a point of educating pet owners about species appropriate nutrition while providing home delivery of premium raw meals across the country. I transitioned my dogs to raw dog food with the help of Darwin's Pet's amazing customer service team and I continue to be a fan today, feeding my dogs their bison tripe and an occasional meal of lamb.