This post may contain affiliate links.
In 2014, I decided to start sharing my journey as a raw feeder. I had been feeding my dogs a raw food diet for a year and wrote about what I had learned as part of the A to Z Blogging Challenge. Looking back, I cringe at how little I knew about raw feeding and decided to update each of those blog posts in 2018-19.
When I first transitioned my dogs to raw, I couldn't find a source of tripe anywhere and having it shipped to me wasn't an option (too expensive). So I gave canned green tripe to my dogs. The benefit was “yeah, my dogs are getting green tripe!!!” The downside was that it smelled AWFUL and it contained carrageenan gum, which the brand said they planned to replace but never did.
I thought about giving my dogs freeze-dried green tripe, but everything available at the time was a treat, not a meal, and it simply wasn't enough, IMO, to get the amazing benefits. There were people feeding full meals of green tripe to their dogs; I couldn't do this with a treat. I wanted to do the same!
And then I was introduced to our local raw food co-op and I finally had a source of green tripe! And this source led me to try other fresh foods for my dogs.
What is Green Tripe
Green tripe is the stomach of ruminating animals. The theory is that it's so nutritious because cows and similar animals have multiple stomachs in which they digest and re-digest their food, building up a high amount of digestive enzymes that will help to improve our dogs' gut health when they eat this yummy food.
Benefits of Green Tripe for Dogs
If you're new to raw feeding, then you may want to know what's so great about green tripe. Everything! But, mostly, I feed it because my dogs love it.
- Green tripe is nutrient rich and I can feed green tripe as a whole meal here and there and not feel like my dogs are lacking.
- Green tripe offers the perfect balance of calcium and phosphorus and I have added it to my dogs' meals when I don't have bone on hand.
- Green tripe is a great option for picky dogs; I also add it to my dogs' dish when they aren't feeling 100%.
- Green tripe is a great source of the nutrient choline, which supports the nervous system while helping the body process fats and carbs.
Misconceptions of Green Tripe
Some people act like green tripe is the best thing on earth and some raw feeders feel bad because they can't find a good source or their dog can't eat it. Well, let me clear up a few things about green tripe.
- The white tripe found at the grocery store is not the same as green tripe. Green tripe isn't something humans can eat so we're not going to find it at our local grocery store.
- Green tripe does not support gut health. And you're welcome to disagree with me, but there aren't enough digestive enzymes in green tripe to boost your dog's gut health if that's why you're feeding it. It's a great protein, but it won't heal the gut.
- Green tripe makes gives some dogs diarrhea. It's pretty rich and two of my dogs (Rodrigo and Scout) can only have 1/4 cup of green tripe, while the girls can have a full meal with no issues.
- Green tripe isn't as high in fat as some people believe. Beef is a higher calorie protein, so when I feed my dogs a meal of green tripe, I feed them slightly less than what I normally feed them (e.g. 8 ounces instead of 10 ounces).
How Much Green Tripe I Feed My Dogs
I feed my dogs green tripe at least 2x a week, more if I can remember to thaw a chub for the dogs. Mostly, I add green tripe to their meals, splitting a 1 pound chub between all four of my dogs. And there are times when Sydney and Zoey get a full meal of green tripe and Rodrigo and Scout get as much as 1/4 cup of green tripe added to their meal.
To avoid diarrhea, I add Olewo carrots to Rodrigo and Scout's meals. Olewo carrots are a nutritious, natural supplement made of carrots sourced from an area of Germany that has nutrient-rich soil. The carrots are processed immediately after they are harvested to limit the nutrient loss, dehydrated, and shipped to my house (that last part is kind of false). Olewo carrots are great for gut health and skin and coat health.
Where to Buy Green Tripe for Dogs
The following are sources that I buy green tripe from and/or trust for my dogs.
- Darwin's Pet offers lamb tripe.
- GreenTripe.com offers beef tripe; I order the beef & trachea blend.
- Raw Paws Pet Food
- Raw Feeding Miami
- My Pet Carnivore
- Hare Today
If you aren't adding green tripe to your dogs' diet, I encourage you to try. If you can't source fresh (frozen) green tripe, then try freeze-dried green tripe. Your dogs will thank you for it!