This post may contain affiliate links.
This blog post was originally published on April 1, 2016. It has been updated with new information and republished. Enjoy!
It's interesting when life throws you a curveball. Lately, I feel like I'm in a game of dodgeball and I'm not sure if I should dive left or right.
If you clicked on this post in confusion, then you're in good company. Many people are confused by my choice to transition from raw dog food, a diet that I've been feeding for eight years and promoting for seven years.
Let me explain.
Raw Dog Food is Fatal to Dogs
All of our dogs are alive and well and I want to keep them that way. I recently learned that raw dog food is fatal. I was speaking with a veterinarian who works for an insurance company and she shared that feeding raw was dangerous and listed the risks. I was stunned. I've been putting my dogs in danger for all of these years?
- the bacteria in raw dog food can lead to serious health complications, AND DEATH
- raw bones can splinter, leading to illness, emergency surgery, AND DEATH
- the ability to feed a balanced diet is difficult and complicated and not doing so can lead to malnutrition, AND DEATH
- raw meat has high levels of parasites that can lead to illness AND DEATH
Feeding Raw is Dangerous for Humans
Not only have I been putting my dogs' lives at risk; I've put my own life at risk as well. The veterinarian told me that being exposed to bacteria can be fatal to ME. I didn't know that I was supposed to wash my hands thoroughly EVERY time I handled raw meat.
Or one, or all, of my over-exuberant, happy dogs will lick me after mealtime, I'll swallow a mouthful of bacteria-laced dog drool, and then I'm toast. What a gross way to die.
During that same week, I saw this adorable video of puppies eating raw meat and scrolled down to see the comments and was stunned by what I learned…
- Feeding raw meat makes dogs go bloodthirsty and kill their owners.
- Feeding raw meat makes dogs aggressive and violent.
- Feeding raw meat makes dogs crave only raw; they won't eat anything else.
- It's impossible to balance a raw food diet – even if you have software created by a master formulator (Steve Brown) and sold by one of the most influential and knowledgeable veterinarians on the planet (Dr. Barbara Royal).
- Balancing over time is no longer a thing, by doing this, we're not honoring the guidelines AAFCO set forth for our dogs' nutritional health.
I'm stunned. As I type this, I'm blown away by my lack of research, education, and just plain common sense when I decided to switch my dogs from kibble to raw. Not only that, I've been telling pet parents for YEARS to feed raw!!!! I even promote my friend's raw feeding course and I created a raw feeder directory too. What was I thinking???
Transitioning Back to Kibble
I'm so ashamed.
This year, I will be sharing everything I'm doing to transition our dogs from raw dog food back to kibble, including:
- What brand our dogs are eating now!
- How I'm helping Rodrigo transition to kibble despite his digestive and food allergies!
- How I'm dealing with the haters and bullies who don't understand my choice!
- Why I'm not raising awareness of the dangers of raw feeding!
It's TIME to right my wrongs!!!
Transitioning My Dogs to Kibble in 10 Easy Steps
- Get in car
- Drive to pet store
- Walk up and down aisle
- Choose an expensive kibble with wolves on the package – species appropriate, right?
- Pay for kibble
- Get back in car
- Drive home
- Open bag
- Pour in dog dishes
- Put dishes on floor
Super easy, right?
My friends are being a pain about this, with comments like…
- “Please don't do it, it's not worth it!” ~ Dr. Karen B.
- “Even the very highest quality kibble contains ingredients that are proven to be detrimental to my dog's health. ~ Janet M.
- “Dogs fart more.” ~ Chris S.
- “Clean whole foods are better.” ~ Deniese L.
- “Tons of dog poop.” ~ Emily P.
- “What about Rodrigo's gut?” ~ Tina B.
- “Hear you're switching back to processed food, sorry to hear. P.S. you might want to look into investing in a large bottle of chlorella for the pups in the future.” ~ Rodney H.
You would think that they would understand. What if I faint some day? I don't want my dogs to eat my head!
And for those of you who aren't laughing your a$$es off right now at the idea of me switching my dogs from raw dog food back to a kibble diet – especially since Scout has CANCER – please look at your calendar.
Although I'm not a kibble hater, I hope to never be in a position where I have to switch our dogs back to a kibble diet. Rodrigo did so poorly on a processed diet and he's thriving on a diet of fresh food. So I will continue to work hard to raise awareness of the benefits of raw feeding so that this diet becomes an affordable and accessible option for all dog lovers.
- Order A Novice's Guide to Raw Feeding on Amazon.com in paperback or for Kindle.
- Order Keeping it Raw – 100 Questions About Raw Feeding, also on Amazon.
A Sorry-Not-Sorry Apology
For the people who find this post judgemental, please note that I'm not making fun of or judging people who feed their dogs dry dog food. I'm making fun of myself, it's a joke. April Fools Day!
Do I pinch you now?