This post may contain affiliate links.
What is Mercury Retrograde?
Simply explained, Mercury retrograde describes an optical illusion which makes it look as if the planet is moving backwards from our viewpoint on earth. During this perceived backwards motion, anything to do with communication, technology or contracts can get majorly screwed up.Horoscope.com
I used to be SUPER into horoscopes, psychics, and all things metaphysical. I grew up with a feeling of not being in control; I always felt like things were happening to me and if there was something or someone out there who could give me a peek into the future to let me know it would all be okay, then I was on board.
Take all my money!!!
I first learned about Mercury Retrograde during my foray into all things astrology and would often use it as an excuse for when things were going array. Now, I look at it like this…it could be the planets or it could be a coincidence. It's more fun to think it's the planets, though.
Mercury Retrograde Dates
- March 5 – 28, 2019
- July 7 – 31, 2019
- October 31 – November 20, 2019
- February 18 – March 9, 2020
- June 17 – July 12, 2020
- October 13 – November 3, 2020
- January 30 – February 20
- May 29 – June 22
- September 27 – October 18
You can see dates through the year 2030 on AstrologyZone.com.
As you can see from above, we're currently in mercury retrograde (as I type this blog post). It started on Halloween. I've only experienced a communication blip, which was someone being snarky on Facebook. Is this really because of the planet or is the snark just another day on social media? I'm leaning towards the later.
But one thing is happening at home that seems to have come out of nowhere. Our dogs are harassing Cosmo!!! They've always shown curiosity and will go upstairs and watch him through the gate. Sometimes Cosmo will meet them at the gate for some mutual sniffing. But lately, when the dogs see Cosmo, they go absolutely nuts.
Mercury retrograde? Or is it because Apollo is getting older and his interest in the cat is increasing, which is feeding the energy in all of our dogs? Probably the latter.
I've gone unscathed so far, #KnockOnWood. I won't get cocky because I still have two weeks to go.
Living with Dogs and a Cat
To curb the excess energy being tossed in Cosmo's direction, we've made some adjustments (other than diffusing essential oil – hahahaha).
- We change the “baby gate” to something more substantial to keep the dogs from going upstairs without supervision.
- We work with the dogs daily on understanding how to interact with the cat and when they can and cannot go upstairs. So far, all of the dogs are allowed upstairs with a human except Apollo and Sydney.
- A tired dog is a well-behaved dog, so exercise is a must. During the week, we play, walk, and explore every day. On the weekends, I take the younger dogs on long walks.
- If the dogs get upstairs, the cat has plenty of spaces to get away and, thankfully, they make such a racket going up the stairs (they always tell on themselves) that we can respond immediately.
Having a more secure gate has created a safer environment for Cosmo. Thank heavens. I was worried my old kitty would eventually have a heart attack because of all of the dogs in the house. I'm lucky he didn't decide to start pooping in my shoes once the fifth dog showed up.
Mercury Retrograde Essential Oil
Plant Therapy has a Mercury Retrograde essential oil and, of course, I purchased it. It has a woodsy / citrus scent that I love and I diffuse it in the house because I love the smell and to prevent my computer from crashing. That's what it's for, right?
To create the Mercury Retrograde blend, Plant Therapy's (why do I keep wanting to type Planet Therapy?) created a blend of the following essential oils:
- Clary Sage – promotes clarity and boosts confidence
- Cedarwood – also helps with clarity and confidence
- Mandarin – brings joy to the emotional party
- Roman Chamomile – eases anxiety and promotes calm
- Cypress – improves our ability to listen to others and helps us manage change more smoothly
- Lemon – promotes concentration and boosts our mental capacity
- Neroli – improves our ability to be compassionate and communicate
Basically, if you're feeling a little out of whack with the world, feeling that people are misunderstanding us, or finding yourself in conflict – diffuse some Mercury Retrograde essential oil
How Many Drops of Mercury Retrograde?
When diffusing the Mercury Retrograde essential oil, I add 3-4 drops in the home office, family room, and living room areas. If I'm feeling particularly on edge, I'll make it 5 drops.
Is Mercury Retrograde Safe to Use with Dogs?
Before using any essential oil on or around my dogs, I check the Animal Desk Reference manual on essential oils for animals by Dr. Melissa Shelton.
I checked each ingredient in this blend and found that Mercury Retrograde essential oil is safe for use around dogs.