This post may contain affiliate links.
In 2014, I decided to start sharing my journey as a raw feeder. I had been feeding my dogs a raw food diet for a year and wrote about what I had learned as part of the A to Z Blogging Challenge. Looking back, I cringe at how little I knew about raw feeding and decided to update each of those blog posts in 2018-19.
Yep, our dogs eat cooked food too. It's a nice break from raw dog food. Every now and then, I whip something up for the dogs and they love it and I feel like Wolfgang Puck. Their favorite (haha, they love everything) meal is my organ meat and ground turkey loaf. This isn’t something that dogs can eat daily; it doesn’t have all the nutrients to make a balanced diet, but it’s great for a day or two…
DIY Meatloaf for Dogs – Ingredients
- 1 pound of chicken liver
- 1 pound of chicken gizzards
- 1 pound of chicken hearts
- 3 pounds of ground turkey (or chicken or beef)
- 2 branches of fresh oregano, pureed
- 2 branches of fresh parsley, pureed
- Fresh kale, spinach, or collard greens, pureed
I use chicken organs because they're readily available at our local grocery store and my dogs don't have the same issues with chicken organs that they do with chicken meat. I use ground turkey because it's affordable and comes in family size packages which are good when feeding four big dogs. Feel free to change up the vegetables and add what your dog likes.
- Chop up or grind the organ meat, mix with the ground turkey, vegetables, eggs, and kelp.
- Transfer the ingredients into a pan with high sides, coated in coconut oil.
- Bake at 200 degrees until finished (a couple of hours).
- Serve to the dogs when cool.
This isn’t a balanced meal nor has this recipe been vetted by a dog nutritionist. This started as a recipe for liver treats someone gave me for our dogs. I did it wrong, ended up with way too much to pour a thin coat on a cookie sheet, so I made a loaf and added more ingredients. The dogs love it so I continue to make it for them.